General question about .ts cutting errors

Discussions not specifically concerning FameRing.
JeanPaulo

General question about .ts cutting errors

Post by JeanPaulo »

:shock:
Hello.
I am wondering for an explanation on Smart-cutting the .ts stream.

I recently cut a long movie (Notre-dame de Paris) from TNT.

The cut with Smart was no fault, but VLC (the worst player, but good to fail on any errors) found a lenght of 1h instead of 2h10'.

I tried the same cut directly with Ffmpeg, which gave numerous errors and no output.

Finally, I just cut down the same lenght with a Hex editor. This one was OK for all players!!! (including two TNT decoders)

So, my question (almost à philosophic!) is 'Why any cut in the .ts stream by raw mean is correct with the players', when one made by Smart is not. What changes are made that corrupt the stream, get stream loss or time errors?

Thanks for any ideas.
Regards.
admin
Site Admin

Re: General question about .ts cutting errors

Post by admin »

Dear JeanPaulo:
Thanks for your message.

'What changes are made that corrupt the stream, get stream loss or time errors?'
Looks like related to the time code error in .ts files.
Does this only happen on this specific file or on many files?

Please feel free to send us your further advice and suggestion.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
JeanPaulo

Re: General question about .ts cutting errors

Post by JeanPaulo »

Thanks. Sorry for the delay. I almost forgot :oops: (and did not set the notify...)

The problem occurs with different files. I know it is related to .ts stream errors (probably time code).

Yes, it occurs again (several), some with 'ads' cutting. Sometimes, you just have to add some frames (those without sound!) and get it corrected. Yesterday, I had a Arte movie cut, where VLC found a duration of 1h56 instead of 1:58, and just stopped playing there. The TF1 station is very bad for that, letting the clip sound play over some the ads (and vice-versa :evil: )

Ffmpeg crashed completely on this one, producing a 900 Mb file (instead of 3742) after a full load of code errors.

I cut it again (using the Smart begin lenght and the end length) with Winhex, and got a perfectly valid file with VLC.

I am not complaining about Smart. I just wonder why this happens after cut, while the original .ts from a decoder plays all.

If you are curious enough on the file, I can put the 4 G raw file on Dl.free server.

Regards, Jean-Paulo