... can't get SmartCutter working correctly

The world's first H.264 AVCHD accurate cutter without re-encoding!
Smart Cutter and Mate for DV and DVB.
Smart products manages, splits, joins movies from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR.
admin
Site Admin

Re: ... can't get SmartCutter working correctly

Post by admin »

So what's the reason ?
- CPU ? i don't think so...
- GPU ? Is supportet by codec !?
- Codec ? The fresh'est CoreAVC with less CPU - load...
- Mainboard ???
Dear ScanMan:
We are impressed! Thank you so much for all the detailed information.
The developers are busy working on the 'fps change' thing, which is most likely the reason of the 'stuttering'. We will send you a copy as soon as we get the fix version.
Your computer configuration is more than okay. The problem is most likely only related to the video stream, not hardware or software. And we think we can solve it soon.
Please keep in touch with us.
Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hello guys:
We have finished the fix version. It can be found at
http://www.fame-ring.com/smart.cutter.rar
May you have a try on this and tell us the result. Thank you.
Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
ScanMan

Post by ScanMan »

Sorry - this version also did NOT work here !

My suggestion is that there is a prob with multiple audio in the TS.
E.g. arte-HD has 3 audio-PIDs: 1) MPEG german, 2) MPEG french and 3) AC3.

When i do a record only with 1 MPEG-audio-PID i only once ( ! ) can open the cut first time.
Very stuttering and looks like a slideshow....

Every other tries has same result as before: NOT playable.

Other ( remaining ) prob's !?
- When i do not specify an extension for the merged file to be write, SmartCutter will set it automatically to *.MPG.
- When i do 3 cuts, they are named ...0.ts, ---1.ts and ts.12.ts. What kind of sense is this naming ?
- Recording small clips for approx 30 secs to a few mins result in a much greater 'total time' between 1-2 up to 12-15 hours ... !?

Is SmartCutter using any of installed H.264-codecs on my machine ?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear ScanMan:
Thanks for your information.
multiple audio in the TS.
Are you familiar with TsMuxer? Perhaps you can re-mux the source movie into one video with one audio, discarding other 2 audio channels, then test it with Smart Cutter?
extension...automatically to *.MPG
Yes. This looks like a software bug, we will inform the developers for a fix. Thank you.
...0.ts, ---1.ts and ts.12.ts.
This is a fault-proof to prevent overwriting the source file wrongfully. The first cut is named as 'ts.12.ts', then '0.ts', then '1.ts'. This may change, in next version the counter will begin from zero.
Is SmartCutter using any of installed H.264-codecs on my machine ?
No. Smart Cutter only uses its internal decoder.

We will keep on testing your sample file. Please keep in touch with us. Thank you.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
ScanMan

Post by ScanMan »

I'm not familiar with TSRemux... but i've tried V 1.6.1
- Loaded several recorded TS-files from DVBDream
- with one ore more audio-tracks
>>> Some tracks not recognized. This (these !) tracks was (were ?) ignored.
- saved it with one ore more audio tracks ...

--->>> The new files are a little bit bigger then the original !
.... but still playing - thats great so far (as the original did before as well ...)

Cutting and merging with SC will work now - playable - yepp. A milestone here so far ....
.... but the result is not as expected ...

>>> Stuttering, slide-show, glitches on cutting-points, hang-up's for seconds ....

Additional probs:
-> Against to what you promised the SC ins N O T cutting at the selected point
... sometimes before, sometimes after, sometimes scenes in between ...
-> Additional 'FAME' labels occur also at start / int the middle / at the end of a cutted scene

> > > This should be the World's first H.264 AVCHD frame accurate cutter without re-encoding ? ? ?
This is not what other persons or me are willing to pay for !!!
Particularly if won't work as aspected and promised loudly ...
A 'must have' using TSRemuxer is told nowhere.

I'm absolutly disappointed !
An also absolutly impertinence to let the user find out nthe bug's...

... and the note for the GUI: F

Sorry - must have been told.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear ScanMan:
Thanks for your detailed information.
Not cutting at the selected point... sometimes before, sometimes after, sometimes scenes in between ...
We mean the re-encoding happens on GOP of the start point and end point, but the middle part untouched. A GOP contails multiple frames. The cut point is only a single frame in the GOP. The single frame can not be re-encoded isolately without the whole GOP re-compressed.
'FAME' labels occur also at start / int the middle / at the end of a cutted scene
Yes it is. This watermark is a trial limitation for unregistered version.

Thanks for all you help.
Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
ScanMan

Post by ScanMan »

We mean the re-encoding happens on GOP of the start point and end point, but the middle part untouched. A GOP contails multiple frames. The cut point is only a single frame in the GOP. The single frame can not be re-encoded isolately without the whole GOP re-compressed.
SmartCutter is only able to cut on IDR ?
... but most of ambitious users - like me - have or would expected a 'picture' accurate cutting like using ProjectX and e.g. Cuttermaran for remuxing SD-material on I-, P-, B- and D-frames succesfully !

Means: Especially when cutting short scenes we might be not at the start or end of a GOP ...
- ... the selected start-pic in Smart Cutter is skipped to the next GOP with missing pic's ?!
- ... or begins from previous GOP with additional pic's ?!
- ... same as above with selected stop-pic ... !?

Watching those cut's is very annoying having missed or additional pic's in scene's !
You should better explain this special behaviour to your interested and willing to pay customers before describing the tool as 'World's first....'

However ... i've tested for several hour's / day's by previous remuxing with TSMUXER (now 1.10.6) - note see above.
Noticed several curious behavior in cutting, creating files, crashing, hang-ups's and other...
If time will allow i will write a longer mail with additional pic's, TS and more via mail.
Posting here seems not to be possible ?!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear ScanMan:
Thanks for your message.
SmartCutter is only able to cut on IDR ?
Definitely not. The cut point can be any type of frame. Whatever it's I P B, the output movie will start and end preciously on the picture you have defined. That is the basic need of frame accuracy.
Suppose you defined a B frame as a start point, then here is what will happen:
First, we restart the video stream from the B frame's I frame, aka its Gop, decode till that B frame, now we start encoding; the encoding will continue till the end of this Gop. So the work of start point is done.
Second, we copy directly the video stream between the Gop of start point and the Gop of end point, no decoding nor encoding happens at this stage.
Third, we do the same thing to the end point as what we do to the start point.

Did we make it clear? Perhaps you are confused by the water mark 'FAME'? The picutures with water mark on, are just those pictures re-encoded, as part of source gop.
As the nature of Gop in H.264/Mpeg2, there is no way to cut movies with only one single B or P frame re-encoded. All the frames following the cut point in its Gop will be re-encoded. If you are interested in these techincal details, we can have more discussion on this. That will be interesting and helpful.

Looks the Smart Cutter does not behave normally on your computer, our developers will keep on improving it, hope it will fit your demand soon. Thanks for your concern and all the time you have spent on it.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team