Strange results

The world's first H.264 AVCHD accurate cutter without re-encoding!
Smart Cutter and Mate for DV and DVB.
Smart products manages, splits, joins movies from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR.
cincyreds

Strange results

Post by cincyreds »

Hi,

I'm using Smart Cutter to cut commercials from programs recorded with a Hauppauge HD-PVR. Cut points all seem to work with perfect frame accuracy. However, the beginning of each individual segment exhibits strange behavior.
The video for the first 1-2 seconds kind of hesitates and pauses, then quickly jumps ahead. Once it jumps ahead, everything plays fine and audio is in synch. This happens only at the very beginning of each segment in the list. Anyone else report this behavior?

Are there any expert users with any suggestions about fixing this? I have posted a video segment you can download here. You'll notice a bit of a freeze right at the beginning, and then the video continues.

I'm a little disappointed because I tried the trial version and thought maybe this problem was due to using the trial, so I went ahead and purchased the full version, but still same problem.

Thanks.

:)

Dean
cincyreds

Re: Strange results

Post by cincyreds »

admin wrote:We will download the sample for a test. The developers will check it soon.
Thanks for your super fast followup.
The segment I posted is quite short. If you'd like a longer segment or more examples, let me know and I will post those as well.
Cheers...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear cincyreds:
We checked the sample. We found that it is a bit different to the samples we ever met.
So the developers made a fix version for you. You can download it here
http://www.fame-ring.com/smart.cutter.rar
Just decompress and run. If the problem still haunts, please let us know immediately. Be sure, including the time code of the points you set.
Thank you.
Whenever you have any advice or question about our products, feel free to conact us by posting here, or
support@fame-ring.com or famering@gmail.com
Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
cincyreds

Post by cincyreds »

Thanks again for the quick followup. I've tried the fix version, but still have the same problem.
If it helps, I have uploaded another clip. This one is a 2 minute clip directly from my Happauge HD-PVR - unchanged and in original format. Maybe it will help to see the actual source video I'm using.

If you test it, all you need to do is make a few edits so you have 3 or 4 items in the edit list. Once you link them together into one video, you'll see that in the final output video, the beginning of each clip in the edit list exhibits the behavior I mention. Sometimes it's hard to detect if there's not much action going on at the edit point, but if you cut at places where there is a lot of motion it's easy to see the pause/speed-up behavior.

You can download the new clip here (82 megs).

Again, thanks for your help and quick followup.

:)

Dean
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear cincyreds:

We have downloaded the original.ts. Could you please upload the cutted movie, so we can download that too? That will help us a lot.
Thank you.

Btw, what is the media player you are using? MpcHc or Vlc or other DXVA players?

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
cincyreds

Post by cincyreds »

admin wrote:We have downloaded the original.ts. Could you please upload the cutted movie, so we can download that too? That will help us a lot.
Actually, I have not made any cuts from that original. I uploaded the original so you could manipulate it any way you want. It doesn't matter where you make cuts - it will always happen. If you make a few random cuts from the sample movie I uploaded and save it as a .ts file, you'll see the behavior. I uploaded it so that you could see an example of the original source files produced by the HD-PVR and inspect it. Hope that makes sense.
admin wrote:Btw, what is the media player you are using? MpcHc or Vlc or other DXVA players?
On my PC, I use a variety of players. Mostly I use a player I've written myself which is based on DirectShow programming. But as far as prepackaged, I use the following:
VLC
Windows Media Player 10

I also stream from my PC to HDTV using a TVIX 6500. Streaming is via wired ethernet.
The same behavior is noticeable on all players and on the TVIX.

Until I recently found your software, I had been using TSPE to edit my files. It does a decent job, but it's not quite frame accurate. Yours is the first I've found which is frame accurate, but unfortunately has this strange result at edit points.

Again, thanks for the excellent support and followup.

Cheers,

Dean
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear Dean:

Thanks for your information.

We tried several 'motion' points in the stream, we did not see the 'hesitates and pauses, then quickly jumps' yet, may be we did not meet the points that you have tried. We cutted it with Smart Cutter then play back with MpcHc(DXVA), Splash(DXVA), and Vlc.

So, we uploaded the result of our test. May be you can have it a playback test.
http://www.fame-ring.com/test/o4.motion.ts
If the 'pause and jump' occurs in this file, please tell us on which part, the 'FAME' watermarked part or before it or following it, that it happens.

Also, you can use the Smart Cutter to have a cut by yourself. The in point is '02:055', out point is '11:631'. We added it into record list 4 times for a 'link' recording.

Although we can not see that problem yet, our developers did try another fix for this. Below is the result of the fix. Same cut points.
http://www.fame-ring.com/test/n4.motion.ts

We are looking forward to your further message. Thank you.

Besides posting here, you can also contact us by support@fame-ring.com or famering@gmail.com

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
cincyreds

Post by cincyreds »

OK - I downloaded the files you made and played them and I still see the same behavior, but not so much in VLC.
I tried something else. I went back to an older file which had multiple cuts and had shown the "pause and jump" behavior. This time I used TS muxer to demux it, then used MKVMerge to remux into an MKV file. The resulting MKV file plays perfectly in all players.

My goal with all of this is to ultimately produce MKV files, so as far as I can tell, Smart Cutter will work and the "pause and jump" anomoly is only an intermediate problem. As long as the final MKV file produced plays properly with seamless cuts, I'm happy. And it does. So I am!

Thank you for all your help. Your customer service is incredibly responsive and top notch.

While I have your ear, a small feature request would be the ability to export Smart Cutter's edit list. I use cut points to create chapters in the MKV file. It would be great to be able to export Smart Cutter's edit list as a chapter file or even a raw text file with the timestamp for each cut point on a single line.

Regards,

Dean
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear Dean:
While I have your ear, a small feature request would be the ability to export Smart Cutter's edit list. I use cut points to create chapters in the MKV file. It would be great to be able to export Smart Cutter's edit list as a chapter file or even a raw text file with the timestamp for each cut point on a single line.
The Smart Cutter already has the function to export record list.
After you set all the cut points into record list, just 'right click' on the record list, select the menu item 'output points', give a file name, you got a txt file output, containing all the edit points.

If you have any further advice or question about our products, feel free to contact us. Thank you.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
cincyreds

Post by cincyreds »

admin wrote:The Smart Cutter already has the function to export record list.
Fantastic! I wasn't aware of that.

Thanks so much for a great product.