Why does Smart Cutter always output .mpg?

General information about FameRing products, including installation, requirements, license, etc.
drose10

Why does Smart Cutter always output .mpg?

Post by drose10 »

Hello:

I am recording files with my Hauppauge HD PVR and editing with Smart Cutter flawlessly. Why does Smart Cutter always output files with the .mpg extension, regardless whether I input files of .M2TS, .TS, or .MP4 types? It seems as though I can manually change the file extension without any further transcoding and playback the resultant file with different software on my computer as well as my home media player (WD TV Live Plus).

Which file type should I set my Hauppauge to record? What's the difference in file types? Does Smart Cutter change the recorded file to some sort of generic .mpg format? Which format is best if I later would like to burn the video file to a blu-ray disc?

Thank you in advance for your replies.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Why does Smart Cutter always output .mpg?

Post by admin »

Dear drose10:
Thanks for your posting.
Smart Cutter always output files with the .mpg extension, regardless whether I input files of .M2TS, .TS, or .MP4 types? It seems as though I can manually change the file extension ...
Yes. Actually Smart Cutter's output format is very identical to your input file format, we mean the file content, so the file extension does not matter. You can change the file extension freely, that will not change the file content or the output format of the Smart Cutter.
Which file type should I set my Hauppauge to record? What's the difference in file types?
What's the available output option of your Hauppauge?
Which format is best if I later would like to burn the video file to a blu-ray disc?

The .TS or the .M2TS will be okay, we think so.

Looking forward to your further message.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team