Crash when cutting video

The world's first H.264 AVCHD accurate cutter without re-encoding!
Smart Cutter and Mate for DV and DVB.
Smart products manages, splits, joins movies from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR.
highc

Crash when cutting video

Post by highc »

Hi,

I have a h.264 Video file here which smart cutter (1.2.9) won't cut. Every time I click on "Record List!", the processing window appears, my HDD LED starts flashing rapidly, and then nothing ever happens. CPU load of smart.exe is very low (around 4-6% with 8 Threads running). If I click on the processing window (e.g. on Exit), smart cutter locks up (Win says: does not respond). I'm running smart cutter on Win 7 Prof., 64bit. The mpg (TS, recorded from DVB-S2, 7.8 gig) plays fine on, e.g., Win Media Player or VLC.

Later: Oh, I just noticed that if I let smart cutter continue in this unresponsive state for about 7 minutes, it starts to cut. But what is happening during that long time of doing nothing? I regularly cut large DVB S2 recordings with smart cutter, and normally it starts immediately to transcode start and end point and then the cutting process.

And: The cut film doesn't play nicely anymore in media player. I can watch it from the start, but I can't jump to anywhere. In VLC, jumping to other positions in the video still works.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Crash when cutting video

Post by admin »

Dear highc:
Thanks for your message.
I have a h.264 Video file here which smart cutter (1.2.9) won't cut.

Could you please send us video samples(upto 20MB each) for a test?

If you can not find small sample, you can upload big samples to our ftp server
-------------------------------------
FTP server for uploading samples

FTP server for samples
before uploading samples, please create sub-directory with your name under the root, then upload samples to this sub-directory.

FULL priviliged --- mkdir, read, write, remove
Will be helpful to limit the size of each sample under 50MB! Thank you.

FTP Username: samples@fame-ring.com
Password: samples
FTP Server: ftp.fame-ring.com
FTP Server Port: 21
-------------------------------------
Thank you very much.

Looking forward to your further message.
Thank you.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
highc

Post by highc »

Thanks for your reply. Uploading 8 Gig would take a few days... I will have to see if I can find an ftp client with upload recovery (ideally, for Linux, as only my Linux box is running 24/7, but the internet connection is dropped every 24 hours), before I can upload the file.

I just came across another movie which causes smart cutter 1.2.9 to crash. The error message displayed by Win7 (64bit, prof) is (sorry, the generic error text generated by Win is in German):

Code: Select all

Problemereignisname:	APPCRASH
  Anwendungsname:	smart.exe
  Anwendungsversion:	0.0.0.0
  Anwendungszeitstempel:	4c960781
  Fehlermodulname:	smart.exe
  Fehlermodulversion:	0.0.0.0
  Fehlermodulzeitstempel:	4c960781
  Ausnahmecode:	c0000005
  Ausnahmeoffset:	003a6a1b
  Betriebsystemversion:	6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
  Gebietsschema-ID:	1031
  Zusatzinformation 1:	c205
  Zusatzinformation 2:	c20574e35d0cc2864ed5cb9863bd062c
  Zusatzinformation 3:	84ff
  Zusatzinformation 4:	84ff6ad39c2f7f822b26e5773234a5a7
Is this something that helps you? The file causing trouble here is 9.8 gig in size...
highc

Post by highc »

Sorry, me again. I just found out that I actually can cut the video, if I cut at different positions.

I then tried an isolated cut of the movie around my intended start points (works) and my intended end point (crash). The crash produces a different error message:

Assertion failed!

Program D:\Smart Cutter\smart.exe
File: facApi/fixMpeg.c
Line: 931

Expression: 0 >= mMemPacketStream[i].num_packets
Does this help, by chance?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear highc:
Thank you so much!
highc wrote: I then tried an isolated cut of the movie around my intended start points (works) and my intended end point (crash). The crash produces a different error message:

Assertion failed!
Program D:\Smart Cutter\smart.exe
File: facApi/fixMpeg.c
Line: 931
Expression: 0 >= mMemPacketStream[i].num_packets
Does this help, by chance?
This surely will help us a lot! Now at least we know where should we check first.

But we still need the actual video sample.
We have downloaded a part of your sample movie(around 400MB) from the ftp server, but we did not re-produced the problem. So could you please tell us the time code of the crashing out point?

It would be better if the sample file size is less than 100 MB.

If you can not find small sample, use this simple tool to split your movie file
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... rger.shtml

Thank you.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
highc

Post by highc »

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, I did not have much time to test yesterday, and the upload was still running. It seems to have finished somewhen last night. The file should be 8.912.177 KB in size. If I set cutpoints in this file at

06:18:42:486
07:46:40:288

Smart Cutter shows the progress window, but then after a few seconds without apparent process, crashes. (Not with the Assertion-failed-error-message quoted above, it just crashes, and Windows tells me, the program needs to be terminated.)

If I try to cut a piece around the end point specified above, e.g. at the cut points

07:45:22:448
07:46:58:168

Smart Cutter starts doing something, then crashes with the "Assertion failed!" error.

Cutting around the original start point works for me.

As mentioned before, I am using 1.2.9 under Win7, 64bit, with 6 gig of RAM.

I hope the above information is useful and helps to reproduce the error(s). If I should still try cutting the video into smaller pieces, please let me know.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear highc:
Thanks for your detailed information.

We are still downloading the sample. Since we do not want to occupy too much bandwidth of our website, we limited the downloading speed.
set cutpoints in this file at
06:18:42:486
07:46:40:288
the end point specified above, e.g. at the cut points
07:45:22:448
07:46:58:168
Then the cut section is about an hour long.
Could you please tell us how long is the total uncutted movie? 2 hours?
So we may stop the downloading as soon as we get the end point part of the movie.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
highc

Post by highc »

Unfortunately, time codes are broken (as mentioned above, this is the file already cut one with smart cutter to reduce size, but that may have lead to some corruption in the time markers), media player shows the overall length to be 10:53:12, vlc does not show any time code. Smart Cutter shows the start time code to be 06:17:00:928 and the end time code to be 08:01:20:582.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear highc:

We just built a fix version for the problem.
http://www.fame-ring.com/test/smart.cutter.131.rar
just decompress and ready to run.
May be you can have it a try and tell us the result.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
highc

Post by highc »

Thanks, this fixes the bug.

Interestingly, during my first attempt with this new version, I could not set the end cut point at 07:46:40:288 anymore, but only at 07:46:40:287. However, after cutting, smart cutter showed the end point to be 07:46:40:288 again... I tried again, and that time I could select 07:46:40:288 directly as the end point. Probably just a cosmetic thing - cutting works again, thanks!

Cheers, highc