Features and refinements to Smart Cutter for DV and DVB

Requests and discussion of features for future versions.
Deanjo

Features and refinements to Smart Cutter for DV and DVB

Post by Deanjo »

OK after trying your trials I can see somethings that really need improvement.

-gui improvements
1) use industry standard pull down menus for items such as options, fix video file, open, etc. I see a lot of wasted gui room by having pretty much that entire upper left quadrent as huge oversized buttons. When dealing with HD captures from a HD PVR or satellite capture and working on a HD monitor at 1920x1200. The buttons are HUGE. That space could be better used for a file list or to expand the cut list on the right hand instead of having to scroll to see the details. I realize that this might require changing of your chosen toolkit (Qt would be an excellent choice for future portability).

2) I see it has been mentioned before but a more accurate slider with mark points. Also previous "keep" points on the timeline should stay high lighted through out the entire editting process. Only points that are not to be "recorded" should lose high lighting on the timeline. Also when you double click on the menu of the start point or end point in the cut list it should take you to that point on the timeline.

3) The shuttle jog is useless. There is no real way of controlling the way it advances or rewinds.

4) Allow use of the scroll wheel on the mouse to advance or rewind the frame by frame slider. One click of the wheel = 1 frame

5) Esc does not quit the application. This is a very irritating function.

6) Autosave cuts. Also allow saving of a project. It's very irritating when the application crashes or someone accidentally hits esc to loose all there work. When your dealing with something like a sporting event with commercials added through out the 3 hour recording it is a real P.I.T.A to loose all ones work especially when the cut count can get up into the 30-40 cut range.

-features not found yet in the application

1) second monitor support, allow a person to at least have the main video preview window on a second screen

2) commercial detection, if this is a product that is meant for DVB/HD PVR editting at least it should come with some type of commercial detection with the ability to add and remove those points or adjust them easily

3) add output to MP4 or MKV support. The ability to add/edit chapters would be a bonus as well. One such option would be to add a chapter point to each cut but a persons should be able to specify their own chapter points as well when using MKV/MP4 output.

4) obligatory linux version request.
Deanjo

Re: Features and refinements to Smart Cutter for DV and DVB

Post by Deanjo »

Just a quick mock up of a clean interface look.