Smart Cutter feature request for multiple source files

Requests and discussion of features for future versions.
wavelet

Smart Cutter feature request for multiple source files

Post by wavelet »

Now that Smart Cutter can batch process files and (with the link option) merge clips from multiple input files, I have a request:

If I am combining clips from 2 different files, I can't guarantee that their H.264 streams have been encoded with exactly the same parameters. Many players will fail if they suddenly encounter a frame that has been encoded with different parameters from the preceding frames (even if things like frame size are the same). The solution is to give each clip a SPS with a different ID.

So, for example, if I set up Smart Cutter to do the following:
- Select frames 100-200 of file1.ts
- Select frames 100-200 of file2.ts
and select the link options so that there is a single output file, what I would like Smart Cutter to do is:
- When re-encoding/copying the frames from file1.ts to the output, set seq_parameter_set_id=0 in all SPS and PPS.
- When re-encoding/copying the frames from file2.ts to the output, set seq_parameter_set_id=1 in all SPS and PPS.
and so on.

I guess this would slow down transcoding so perhaps it could be an option like "Stream Fix".

Thanks, Wavelet.
wavelet

Re: Smart Cutter feature request for multiple source files

Post by wavelet »

In fact you could probably just use 2 SPS ID's, no matter how many clips you were joining.
- When re-encoding/copying frames from file1.ts to the output, set seq_parameter_set_id=0 in all SPS and PPS.
- When re-encoding/copying frames from file2.ts to the output, set seq_parameter_set_id=1 in all SPS and PPS.
- When re-encoding/copying frames from file3.ts to the output, set seq_parameter_set_id=0 in all SPS and PPS.
- When re-encoding/copying frames from file4.ts to the output, set seq_parameter_set_id=1 in all SPS and PPS.

Also, I think I read somewhere that some container formats cannot handle multiple SPS in streams so this feature may only be possible for ts and avi containers.