Cutting HD video stream at frame boundaries

The world's first H.264 AVCHD accurate cutter without re-encoding!
Smart Cutter and Mate for DV and DVB.
Smart products manages, splits, joins movies from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR.
ranka-mei

Cutting HD video stream at frame boundaries

Post by ranka-mei »

Hello,

I'm looking for a tool to cut HD (1080p) video streams at full frame boundaries; like I want to take out a segment from, say, frame 12400 to 15955, for example. Can Smart Cutter for DV and DVB do that?

Thank you for your time.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Cutting HD video stream at frame boundaries

Post by admin »

Dear ranka-mei:
Thanks for your message.

'cut HD (1080p) video ... at full frame boundaries'
'take out a segment ... from frame 12400 to 15955'
Several concerns:
1.What is the video format? AVCHD/H.264/MPEG2?
2.Are you sure that the first frame, say 12400, is a key frame? If not, the first GOP must be re-encoded to ensure a correct result; otherwise the resulting video will start with some corrupt frames..
3.How do you locate the No. 12400 frame in the video stream, then decide that it is exactly the one you want?

'Can Smart Cutter for DV and DVB do that?'
Sure. Smart Cutter's main feature is just cutting AVCHD/H.264/MPEG2 video frame accurately(with millisecond accuracy).

Looking forward to your further message.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
ranka-mei

Post by ranka-mei »

Thank you for your fast answer. It's really appreciated. :)

Yes, when I said frame boundaries, I meant keyframes, cut off at the end of a GOP. Sorry, I should have been more clear. It will be 1080p h264 content.

Reason I need this, is that I use a hefty temporal denoiser script and AviSynth to denoise some of my Blu-Ray disc. This is an extremely time-consuming task (several days per movie on my i7 980x). Every once in a while 'the process stopped responding'. A dreaded error, which as of yet can not be entirely avoided all the time. You understand, of course, that this leaves me somewhat upset, as this usually means I lost a day or so encoding (x264).

So, instead of having to re-encode everything, I decided to just keep the old, already-done part, and re-encode the next segement. Since the denoising is temporal, I will be encoding with a few seconds overlap at the start of each new segment. Which is where Smart Cutter for DV and DVB would come in. :) I know exactly how much keyframes I've encoded for the first segment; and from the next segment I know exactly after which GOP to crop the overlap off. I just need a reliable program that can do it. Most programs just work with a timeline (which isn't as precise, of course, and won't ensure cutting at the precise end of GOP).

Hoping Smart Cutter for DV and DVB can do that for me.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear ranka-mei:
Thanks for your detailed information.

Since the feature you requested is very professional, we just consulted our programmers.
They said if you can afford us time code of the desired frame(milli-second accuracy), rather than the frame number, then they might be able to make a solution.

The reason is, we can not start reading from the beginning of the file, counting each frame we meet, until we get the frame number you want. That will be too slow.
If we have the time code, then we will jump to the desired frame quickly.

Yes, this is only a basic idea. There may be some other techinal questions to answer. But the time code will be important to fullfil your request, according to our programmers.

Looking forward to your further message.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team