Endpoints can't be changed without starting all over

The world's first H.264 AVCHD accurate cutter without re-encoding!
Smart Cutter and Mate for DV and DVB.
Smart products manages, splits, joins movies from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR.
thefireman

Endpoints can't be changed without starting all over

Post by thefireman »

If one selects an end point and then decides to define it an bit earlier or a bit later, this is just ignored. The initial endpoint that was defined remains in effect and all correction to it are ignored, unless the clear button is pressed.

It would be nice to be able to correct an endpoint without having to start over again. So setting a corrected endpoint should remove the previous one(s) and completely replace it.
spoolin01

Re: Endpoints can't be changed without starting all over

Post by spoolin01 »

If I'm understanding your question, have you tried the delete button? It clears only the last (latest) segment, not all the prior segments. You have to start again by choosing the start point for that last segment. I don't know if there is a way to work on a "middle" segment using this tool, I kind of doubt it. It "chews away" from the latest segment in the timeline, backwards.
thefireman

Post by thefireman »

Yes, have tried the delete button in the past, but as you said it does not work ideally in all cases. So in order to be on the safe side I ended up using the clear button all the time (when I needed to move an endpoint). Better be safe than sorry. However I wish there was a better way to adjust / move / correct an endpoint safely, without having to start all over again.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear thefireman:
Thanks for your message.

'If one selects an end point and then decides to define it an bit earlier or a bit later, this is just ignored.'
It should not be.
You sure can adjust the end point if you seek to a position a bit earlier or a bit later (2 seconds around the old end point) then click 'New End Point'.
If you seek to a far (longer that 2 seconds) position from the old end point, Smart Cutter will take that as a new video segment defined.

Please feel free to send us your further advice and suggestion.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
thefireman

Post by thefireman »

You sure can adjust the end point if you seek to a position a bit earlier or a bit later (2 seconds around the old end point) then click 'New End Point'.
If you seek to a far (longer that 2 seconds) position from the old end point, Smart Cutter will take that as a new video segment defined.
Yes, theoretically you are right. This should be possible the way you have described it. However, when you do follow this process and move the endpoint a few frames to the right or to the left, although on screen you see that the endpoint has been moved, if you load the output file into Smart Cutter you will find out that the new endpoint is not taken into consideration and the output file is saved by taking into consideration the initial endpoint and not the corrected one.

In order to reproduce the error you can take any ts file, set a wrong endpoint (e.g. with a couple of frames with ads) then move the endpoint (as you have described) to omit the couple of frames with the ads. Save the output file and then load it into Smart Cutter. You will then see that the couple of frames with the ads are saved in the output file and not omitted as one would expect.