Fresh Windows install, smart cutter keeps crashing

The world's first H.264 AVCHD accurate cutter without re-encoding!
Smart Cutter and Mate for DV and DVB.
Smart products manages, splits, joins movies from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR.
highc

Fresh Windows install, smart cutter keeps crashing

Post by highc »

Hi,

I just recently built a new machine with a clean Windows 10 install and reinstalled Smart Cutter on it. My registration is not accepted, but I mailed the support about that separately. The other issue I'm having is that smart cutter now crashes for every HD (1080i) file I am trying to cut, including those files that I have cut previously on the old machine, and that I'm still able to cut on the old machine.

So I guess there is some prerequisite / software piece / codec missing on the new machine...? Any hint on what that may be would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: Fresh Windows install, smart cutter keeps crashing

Post by admin »

Dear highc:
Thanks for your message.

After many tests on our end on Win 10, we still can not re-produce the problem.

So could you please upload a original video sample showing the problem to our ftp server for a test?

It would be better if the sample file size is less than 50 MB.

-------------------------------------
before uploading sample, please create sub-directory with your name under the root, then upload sample to this sub-directory.

FULL priviliged --- mkdir, read, write, remove
Will be helpful to limit the sample file size under 50MB.
Thank you.

FTP Username: samples@fame-ring.com
Password: samples
FTP Server: ftp.fame-ring.com
FTP Server Port: 21
-------------------------------------
Here is also a step by step tutorial for uploading sample(s):
http://www.fame-ring.com/uphelp.html

Looking forward to your further message.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
thefireman

Post by thefireman »

I have also seen this crashing behavior. I am not sure what the cause is, but I could say that it mainly appears in large files, or when the file is split in many sections (these two usually come in pair). I would guess that one could reproduce the error if a very big file is taken (lets say 10GB) and this is cut in say 15 sections.

If this is repeated a couple of times the crash is sure to arise. I would not expect to receive a small file (as the 50MB mentioned) that can be used as a sample).

Also this is not dependent on the file. If one takes the same file that has crashed and cuts one section at a time. There will be no crashes and one would eventually manage to come to the desired outcome. The same file that fails (crashes) when all the cutting is done at once, will succeed if the cutting is done partially. So the problem is not in any specific file. Something either overflows or runs out in smart cutter.

Word of advice to all that are experiencing the crashes, until this is bug resolved. When a file crashes, cut a few parts at first, then another few and so on until you have cut all the parts you need to cut.
highc

Post by highc »

I might be experiencing the same or a different bug, not sure. At least it's not dependent on file size or number of parts, but it happens reliably with 1080i movies of any size.

fame ring thought it might be related to the new AMD processors (my current machine is a Threadripper 1950X). I have offered to test any test version or other program they might produce, and am still hoping for them to send something my way soon.

It works, by the way, if I run Smart Cutter on the same machine in a Virtual Box. But that is dead slow...