Output File Quality

The world's first H.264 AVCHD accurate cutter without re-encoding!
Smart Cutter and Mate for DV and DVB.
Smart products manages, splits, joins movies from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR.
arkady

Output File Quality

Post by arkady »

I have downloaded the Mac OS X trial version, and have tried it out on a few m2ts files that were captured with a Hauppage recording device. I have no problem with paying the registration fee, but I'd like to get some confidence that the product will do what I want before I do that.

So what I have been doing is, loading an m2ts file (usually about 1.5-3 hours playing time, file sizes from about 10-20 gigabytes), setting a new start point, and a new ending point, then clicking on the little red button. When the edited m2ts file is produced, I use Handbrake to produce mp4 files optimised for various devices.

The quality on the mp4 files tends to be quite poor; all kinds of video artefacts, jerky movement, that sort of thing, that are not present if I produce an mp4 file from the original (using Handbrake also, with the exact same settings). These phenomena exist throughout the entire file, not just the beginning and ends.

Since Smart Cutter supposedly only decodes/re-encodes near the edit points, this seems a bit strange; it also seems somewhat inconsistent with the comments of several people that the Mac product works very well when it doesn't crash. So I am wondering whether there is something about the re-encoding at the new start point that junks up the operation of Handbrake, for the entire file?

Does anyone have some wise words on what might be causing this, and how to fix it?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Output File Quality

Post by admin »

Dear arkady:
Thanks for your message.

'the new start point that junks up the operation of Handbrake, for the entire file?'
Could please tell us the version info of your Handbrake program? So we can re-produce the problem on our end.

Please feel free to send us your further advice and suggestion.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team