Crash in version 1.9.1

The world's first H.264 AVCHD accurate cutter without re-encoding!
Smart Cutter and Mate for DV and DVB.
Smart products manages, splits, joins movies from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR.
James.T.

Re: Crash in version 1.9.1

Post by James.T. »

Dear Pete,

No worries! Whatever helps saving this problem is very welcome as I also guess we're having the same issue.
Your offer for a screen sharing session with the support team is great and I sincerely hope that the team can fix it!

@Support team: Any news?

Regards, James.T.
dayoff

Post by dayoff »

This is what the event log is showing.... I tried a new mpeg2 file and it trigger the same issue...

smart.exe
543c908f
ntdll.dll
53eeb4a3
c0000374
000debd8
2e8c
01cffef2945c9230
C:\Users\pusername\AppData\Roaming\FameRing\Smart Cutter\smart.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
e0efe551-6ae5-11e4-bf38-a4badb0294f3
dayoff

Post by dayoff »

In my case, I uninstalled the product, downloaded the portable version tonight... and can't even trim the pre.mpg file that's included in the product. I open the pre.mpg file that's in the same directory as smart.exe, select an in point and end point, and hit the record button, and the app crashes and shuts down.

The original mpg file is gone and I'm left with a pre.[0].mpg file with 0kb file size.

In this case, however, I don't get a windows error reporting message saying that smart.exe has failed...instead the app just closes on it's own...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear James.T.:
Thanks for your message

'Unfortunately, I have to confirm the problems exactly with the file I uploaded.'
Please follow below test steps:
1.open this sample
2.make sure the 'link' button disabled(black)
3.click the 'red circle', no need to define start or end point
4.is it working? the result should be a file with the same duration as the sample

Looking forward to your further message.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
dayoff

Post by dayoff »

Still trying to make it work tonight... Tried the portable version in a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit, and still had the smart.exe crash.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear dayoff:
Thanks for your message.

'Tried the portable version in a fresh install of Windows 7 64 bit, and still had the smart.exe crash.'
Please decompress the portable version into C:\FameRing and try again. See whether it helps.

Looking forward to your further message.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
dayoff

Post by dayoff »

Didn't work..Still crashing
James.T.

Post by James.T. »

Dear Support Team,

Thank you for your proposal.
I follwed your instructions, but unfortunately the program is still crashing creating a zero size file as before.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards,
James.T.
Michel Merlin

Smart Cutter 1.9.1 is crashy again

Post by Michel Merlin »

Smart Cutter 1.9.1 is crashy again

I have the same problem. Smart Cutter has always been crashy, always in the same task: when sliding a little fast across a big file (like 18GB, 9h in 1440x1080). This was the case for me in 2013 Windows 7 64bit Ultimate. It seemed somewhat corrected in some versions, that I used on my W7-64b laptop then after UPgrading to a desktop PC with Windows XP 64bit, but it got particularly touchy again with version 1.9.1.

In addition the very advantage of Smart Cutter is fading: first, more and more other programs start doing the same (ripping and joining SANS re-encoding, excepted of course a few GOPs at the DEB and END of each output segment); second, Smart Cutter re-encodes more and more of the segments.

And finally, despite the longer re-encoding, Smart Cutter result is going down in quality: in deb 2013 the output had no visible quality difference with the input; recent versions do bring significant quality losses.

Meanwhile there is no more fixes or improvements to the little flaws in the interface (thanks however for the ones that have been done this year, following or not my own carefully written suggestions by email). I recall that such little things are important due to the accumulation of little time losses and errors that currently occur and that would be easily corrected.

Versailles, Mon 17 Nov 2014 16:19:40 +0100
dayoff

Post by dayoff »

Michel, have you found anything with a similar ability to quickly set up a batch list to export into multiple files?

I was under the impression that there was no re-encoding... in what situations would it switch and re-encode when you're taking an mp4 file, for example, and start splitting it up?

I need to find a solution and as my trial has sort of run out on this, and I'm running across problems with crashing and the ones that work are showing some odd situations where exports take place with slow motion looking video and some goofy stuff like that, I'm open for alternatives...

Pete