Application crash when sliding movie on change AR frame

The world's first H.264 AVCHD accurate cutter without re-encoding!
Smart Cutter and Mate for DV and DVB.
Smart products manages, splits, joins movies from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR.
vitos

Application crash when sliding movie on change AR frame

Post by vitos »

Smart Cutter crashes when accurate sliding with slider or backward/forward one frame near frame with video aspect ratio change. This happens to me on every video having AR changes.

I've uploaded my sample on ftp: vitos_sample.ts

First AR change from 4:3 to 16:9 is at ~2m31s
Second from 16:9 back to 4:3 at ~3m24s

I'm on Windows 7 64bit
vitos

Re: Application crash when sliding movie on change AR frame

Post by vitos »

Downloaded older version 1.8.4 and is working fine :D
vitos

Post by vitos »

Problem still not fixed in 1.8.7
vitos

Post by vitos »

This error is shown
rdhoore108

Post by rdhoore108 »

For me, Smart Cutter crashes very frequently nowadays, when sliding the big bar. It is very frustrating, I need to remember to save my project each time I clicked a begin and end point...

I get the following error information from Windows 8.1:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: smart.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 543c908f
Fault Module Name: smart.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 543c908f
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000fab39
OS Version: 6.3.9600.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 2067
Additional Information 1: 5861
Additional Information 2: 5861822e1919d7c014bbb064c64908b2
Additional Information 3: d1d9
Additional Information 4: d1d94a13d3609d6b740644c12508f581
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Dear rdhoore108:
Thanks for your message.

'crashes very frequently nowadays ... Windows 8.1'
Please help us to show and identify the problem.
Could you please upload a original video sample showing the problem to our ftp server for a test?

It would be better if the sample file size is less than 50 MB.

If you can not find small sample, use this simple tool to split your movie file into small pieces, and upload any one of them.
http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... rger.shtml
-------------------------------------
before uploading sample, please create sub-directory with your name under the root, then upload sample to this sub-directory.

FULL priviliged --- mkdir, read, write, remove
Will be helpful to limit the sample file size under 50MB.
Thank you.

FTP Username: samples@fame-ring.com
Password: samples
FTP Server: ftp.fame-ring.com
FTP Server Port: 21
-------------------------------------
Here is also a step by step tutorial for uploading sample(s):
http://www.fame-ring.com/uphelp.html

Looking forward to your further message.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
rdhoore108

Post by rdhoore108 »

Dear admin,

I'm sorry but I cannot reproduce it consistently. For example, just now Smart Cutter crashed on me when the blue slider was in the third commercials break in a recorded movie, about 4 GB in size. (Needless to say, again I had forgotten to save my project already). So, I reopened the movie, tried again marking my begin and end points (this time saving the project after each marked part), and when I reached the same commercials, and moved the blue slider back and forth a bit, again Smart Cutter crashed. So, since I now had a reproducible crash, I opened the movie again, and cut out that commercials part, to upload it to you.

But now, when I open this short commercials piece that I cut, no matter how many times I move the blue slider back and forth, and mark parts, it's working just fine. So uploading that one won't help at all. Apparently it has more to do with the length of a recording, than with the contents.

EDIT: One thing I do notice is that in this version (1.9.1), when I use the white, precise slider, that sometimes the images themselves, and/or their sequence, are not proper. For example, it may show some distortion in the image while sliding quickly (as if a key frame was missing, and it continues modifying the wrong image), and then when I move back to look more closely, each frame does look proper, there is no distortion. Or I move the slider quickly, it may show first show some frames that should only come later. This does not bother me so much, I'm reporting it just in case it has something to do with the crash problem.
rdhoore108

Post by rdhoore108 »

Just now, Smart Cutter also crashed after I had already clicked "Start Batch", and was typing a filename. So, it has nothing to do with moving the slider. I could not possibly have been doing any interaction with the Smart Cutter interface at that time. That is really weird.
Michel Merlin

Smart Cutter mishandles ratio aspect changes

Post by Michel Merlin »

Smart Cutter mishandles ratio aspect changes

Thanks to what "vitos" reported on Wed 30 Apr 2014 14:02:14 GMT, I can confirm him and help narrow the problem:

I have a "NT1 - Prog nuit - Les Filles DAC eps87-90 - 11-01-2015 02h40 04h (1627).m2ts" file, Blu-ray Video format, 720×576px 25fps, 3.36 GiB, 3h59mn, Overall bit rate mode : Variable, Overall bit rate : 2,004 Kbps.

That file was recorded from French TV network http://www.nt1.tv ; at 02:23:00 (05:03:00 +0100 french local real time) one program is replaced with the next one, which is an old TV series of the 1980s (filling the antenna at night), whose 4/3 image is shown (on TV then in MPC-HC) a brief instant distorted into 16/9, then after a little time but still in the same second 02:23:00, the image gets corrected into 4/3.

I open that file in Smart Cutter 1.9.1, then I double-click on the Time case (with the 9 big violet figures, just below "Fix Video File" and "Capture Frame") and enter "02:22:55", then I slide RIGHTwards: suddenly Smart Cutter disappears, totally, without any warning other than the traditional dialog like "Smart Cutter has encountered a problem and needs to close, report to Microsoft", thus losing everything in it.

If I reopen Smart Cutter 1.9.1 then enter "02:23:10" then I slide LEFTwards I get the same crash, same warning.

If I open Smart Cutter 1.9.1, enter "02:22:55", then click the green triangle under "OPEN" to Play the video, then the file plays, and when it reaches the point where the AR (Aspect Ratio) changes, the image stops immediately when the old series appears, but that 4/3 image while stopped is displayed undistorted and the music continues, normally, for 18 seconds, then the traditional dialog like "Smart Cutter has encountered a problem and needs to close, report to Microsoft" gets displayed and the music goes into a 1-2 second loop, but this time the Smart Cutter interface, the looped music and the Windows dialog stay as long as I don't anything; and when I click "Send" in the dialog, Smart Cutter and the music disappear.

I recall that Smart Cutter has always been crashy, with significant improvements or worsenings from a version to the next; and 1.9.1 is the worse one I remember.

If this small report helps, then I would try to remove the 02:20 before the problem, then divide the rest using your tool (please Fame-Ring recall me its name and URL) and post a short excerpt around the moment when the AR changes.

Versailles, Sat 17 Jan 2015 19:46:00 +0100