Installation Location

The world's first H.264 AVCHD accurate cutter without re-encoding!
Smart Cutter and Mate for DV and DVB.
Smart products manages, splits, joins movies from DV Camcorder and DVB HD PVR.
Hazza

Installation Location

Post by Hazza »

Why does Smart Cutter install itself in one of my private data directories ?
Data directories are meant for program-related data.
Programs should live in program directories e.g C:\Program Files\Smart Cutter
Using DEP to protect against malign programs is VERY difficult when programs are installed in the wrong place.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Installation Location

Post by admin »

Dear Hazza:
Thanks for your message.

'Data directories are meant for program-related data.'
Smart Cutter produces inter-mediate files while processing videos, so it is better to install it in this directory. Otherwise we found some false file i/o operations.

Please feel free to send us your further advice and suggestion.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
Hazza

Post by Hazza »

"Otherwise we found some false file i/o operations."
If you really want my suggestions, perhaps you could provide a bit more detail on this.

I do not believe that it is ever necessary to put programs in the same directory as the files they process. I have never come across any other program that behaves in this way, and when programming I have always been able to put data files wherever I want.

It is a matter of good practice to keep programs and data separate. In some operating systems (those which treat security more seriously than Windows), it is compulsory.

Best regards, over to you.
VGER

Post by VGER »

Hi,
Hazza wrote:I do not believe that it is ever necessary to put programs in the same directory as the files they process.
Additionally, the user may not want temp files in the program directory in the first place. A reason for this might be storage type, for example if the C: drive is a fast but limited SSD you might want to relocate temp directories to a different drive with more space available.

After relocating AppData, I expect all _data_ to go to the new location. I do not expect applications to relocate with that, and my security screens may not provision for this exception.

Regards