setup wizard does not allow me to update from 1.9.2f

General information about FameRing products, including installation, requirements, license, etc.
mtamilia

setup wizard does not allow me to update from 1.9.2f

Post by mtamilia »

Hello
I am trying to upgrade to 1.9.3 from 1.9.2f....but the setup wizard keeps on telling me I have a more recent version installed.....
How can I do it? Do I have to uninstall manually and install the new version afterwards?

Thanks a lot/regards

Marco
admin
Site Admin

Re: setup wizard does not allow me to update from 1.9.2f

Post by admin »

Dear Marco:
Thanks for your message.

'the setup wizard keeps on telling me I have a more recent version installed..... How can I do it? Do I have to uninstall manually and install the new version afterwards?'
Yes please uninstall the old version and reinstall the new version.
Or you can use the portable version instead:
1.download the most updated portable version of Smart Cutter.
http://www.fame-ring.com/smart.cutter.rar
2.decompress it to a directory, say C:\FameRing, but not C:\Program Files this time.
in the directory, run the smart.exe

Please feel free to send us your further advice and suggestion.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
Michel Merlin

The purpose of names is to name

Post by Michel Merlin »

The purpose of names is to name
mtamilia wrote:(Sun 15 Nov 2015 09:05:07 GMT)
I am trying to upgrade to 1.9.3 from 1.9.2f....but the setup wizard keeps on telling me I have a more recent version installed
The only fix is to uninstall 1.9.2f then install 1.9.3, as you said and as admin confirmed.

My advice to Fame-Ring: This kind of error can be made less frequent in the future by basic precautions (remember that IT operates much faster, hence much wider and much longer, than anything before, hence requires much more reliability):
  • One object, one name. Using 2 names ("1.9.2f" in filename and "1.9.21.0" in File version) for essentially the same object was a mistake hence a call for problems in the near future (say months or years)
  • Numbers are ordered. "1.9.21.0", being greater than "1.9.3", was WRONG here, and should have been "1.9.2.1". Violating this basic rule was a 2nd call for problems
  • Users often need to install an older version, e.g. when the newer is bugged (which happens to all programs). Hence the warning issued to user (and the according operation) should have been e.g. "You are trying to replace Smart Cutter version 1.9.21.0 with version 1.9.3.0, which is older. Do you wish to continue? - Yes - No". This other violation was a 3rd call for problems
Problems generally don't come on the 1st calls but they finally arrive when you insist. Here they struck this ancillary task (naming) but they may very well hit SC soon on bigger issues

Versailles, Tue 19 Jan 2016 19:04:20 +0100