An Alternative to ACDSEE on video browsing and managing?

Discussions not specifically concerning FameRing.
morediscovery

Post by morediscovery »

--- Smart Mate for DV and DVB, customized for H.264/AVCHD/MPEG2.

Today, I was cleaning up files on an old hard disk. In it, I met again many softwares I used to be using during last decade. ACDSEE, PHOTOSHOP, ULTRA EDITOR and many others, some of them are still my favorite tools today.

Watch the Windows Vista I am using now, what a similar looking between the explorer and the old ACDSEE classic. The so called thumbnail-view layout, which I first saw in ACDSEE classic, is nowadays a most common user interface standard.

Thumbnail-view is not the only strong point that ACDSEE holds.
ACDSEE is still the best when the image browsing speed is measured. That's why I am still using ACDSEE as my picture browser, although the Windows now can do it natively(but slowly). This shows, there is always a chance to survive for an unique technology, like the image browsing speed of ACDSEE.

On the contrary, when we turn to the speed of video browsing, ACDSEE falls into the common category of DirectShow filter based applications. ACDSEE does not decode video itself, so its video browsing speed is limited by the DirectShow.

This gave an opportunity to the video manager I am using now, the Smart Mate for DV and DVB.

Based on special video technology from FameRing, Smart Mate for DV and DVB is 20~30 times faster than DirectShow based softwares when browsing and taking thumbs of movies.

I have a Hauppauge HD PVR DVB Box with a tuner installed on PC. I've recorded about several hundreds of H.264/AVCHD movies on my hard disk. They are .ts files, aka transport stream. Every now and then, I need to organize them, search them, bookmark them, share them with my friends. Just like what I did to my Jpeg photos. Further more, I want to edit the movies, like cutting commercials out of them, this leads to the most valuable part of Smart Mate for DV and DVB. It has the world's first H.264/AVCHD/MPEG2 frame accurate cutter without re-encoding.

Smart Mate for DV and DVB not only supports frame accurate cutting on H.264/AVCHD/MPEG2, but also does it in a fastest way. It only re-encodes the gop on start point and end point, middle part of movie remains untouched. This gives the highest speed cutting while reserving highest video quality. So called, "Smart Cut".

If anyone else needs an easy but professional management solution for H.264/AVCHD/MPEG2 movies from Satellite video receiver, DVB HD PVR, DV Camcorder, or INTERNET, the Smart Mate for DV and DVB is the software you must have. FameRing also has video manager for all popular formats, called MovieShop, I was only using the version customized for H.264/AVCHD/MPEG2.

Come back to the ACDSEE, it will always be my image browsing tool, but not for the video browsing and managing.

To me, the Smart Mate for DV and DVB is an alternative to ACDSEE on video files. That is why we like competition, which gives us more and more better softwares.

May be some time later, Windows will be able to browse H.264/AVCHD/MPEG2 .ts movies natively(cuts frame accurately? I do not think so), like the thumb-nail view it learned from ACDSEE. But it will never be the only software left, because the unique technology always survives, as it is unique. The customers will always have alternative and better choices.