The best way to edit Hauppauge HD PVR captures

Discussions not specifically concerning FameRing.
jsganz

Re: The best way to edit Hauppauge HD PVR captures

Post by jsganz »

admin wrote:"I only wish that smart cutter would allow me to link the cuts together and keep them in ts format rather than switching them to mpg."

Dear rikai,
The Smart Cutter does have the 'link' function you need. There is a 'link' button beneath the record list, this can merge all the cuts together into one single .ts file.

The typical procedure I suggest will be:
first open movie file.
after setting cut points, press button 'addlist'; repeat such operation to add other cuts;
when all segments set, press button 'Record List'. Now, each segment will be transcoded into a new file. If MERGE needed, lighten the button 'link'(this is what you need) before pressing the button 'Record List'.

I think this will answer your demand. If you have any further question, feel free to contact me.
I have used this procedure and it works fine....but it still converts to mpg. There's no option that I can see that will let the completed merge remain a TS file.
Am I missing something?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

jsganz wrote:I have used this procedure and it works fine....but it still converts to mpg. There's no option that I can see that will let the completed merge remain a TS file.
Am I missing something?
Dear jsganz:

Allow me to explain some basic ideas. If your input is a MPG(PS stream), then you got MPG(PS stream) as edited output; if your input is a TS, then you got TS as edited output. That is why the product is called "Smart Cutter", it does not touch main part of the movie, only re-encode gop on cut point.

May be you want to input a MPG, and output to a TS? I will inform our developers for such a user need. In the mean time, you can use "Smart Cutter" to cut the input MPG, get a edited MPG as output, then use tsMuxeR(free) to remux the edited MPG to a TS, the remux is very fast and easy.

Thank you. If you have any advice or question about our products. You can always contact us by

support@fame-ring.com or famering@gmail.com

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
jsganz

Post by jsganz »

admin wrote:Dear jsganz:

Allow me to explain some basic ideas. If your input is a MPG(PS stream), then you got MPG(PS stream) as edited output; if your input is a TS, then you got TS as edited output. That is why the product is called "Smart Cutter", it does not touch main part of the movie, only re-encode gop on cut point.

May be you want to input a MPG, and output to a TS? I will inform our developers for such a user need. In the mean time, you can use "Smart Cutter" to cut the input MPG, get a edited MPG as output, then use tsMuxeR(free) to remux the edited MPG to a TS, the remux is very fast and easy.
Yes, I know the input is the same file type as the output......but, when you merge edited TS files together, the output is always mpg.
That's what I'm referring to. Is there any way to have the merged output file remain TS?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yes, I know the input is the same file type as the output......but, when you merge edited TS files together, the output is always mpg.
That's what I'm referring to. Is there any way to have the merged output file remain TS?
Dear jsganz:

Thanks for your concern. If the input is truly h.264/mpeg2 ts, the output will definitely be h.264/mpeg2 ts.

Why not send us a small sample(larger than 3MB) of your video file, we will have it a check to see what is happening. you can send the sample to

support@fame-ring.com or famering@gmail.com

Thank you.

Best Regards,
FameRing Support Team
jsganz

Post by jsganz »

Great...I'll do that. I really appreicate it!
rernst

Post by rernst »

Just throwing this on top: Since the Hauppage spits out 59.94 fps and you might now want HD quality (but rather compress down to SD) you can do so with mplayer/mencoder after cutting with SmartCutter. At least that is what I do.